You’re probably familiar with catnip (Nepeta cateria) and the fun reaction it can cause in cats. But what if your kitty doesn’t seem to like catnip? There’s an alternative: honeysuckle! The ability to respond to nepetalactone (the active ingredient in catnip) is hereditary and is a dominant trait in felines. Approximately 70% of cats possess the gene necessary for enjoying catnip, leaving about 30% of the population to delight in a honeysuckle habit. Honeysuckle contains a natural chemical that is remarkably similar to the reactive chemical found in catnip. These chemicals produce a scent that the cat’s pheromone receptors respond to, and this only occurs in sexually mature cats (approximately 6 - 9 months of age).
Reactions include rolling around, meowing, purring or growling, drooling, kneading, chasing invisible prey, and a dreamy or spaced-out mood. This sleepy side effect can last for up to two hours. Many cats play hard for a short while and then crash out after indulging in catnip or honeysuckle play.
Wholesome Foods and Wellness Products for Pets